Sunday, February 4, 2007

blog charter

Has anyone else noticed how Christianity has been increasingly marginalized in contemporary (Western) culture? Its followers, morality, basic doctrine, organizations have all become objects of consistent ridicule, and not reasonable ridicule, but the same half-baked arguments that have been around for centuries. This blog's purpose is to expose the emptiness of the maliciousness against Christianity. The top technique for "debunking" Christianity is the Straw Man, which means substituting an easily-refuted idea for the real one. Real Christianity has withstood many attacks. It is, in actuality, no Straw Man. This blog will attempt to demonstrate that in specific cases.

What this blog is not:
  • Authoritative. I'm the only one writing, although I will apply ideas from many sources. I would also add that I have no credentials of any kind. I have never published anything in any journal. I do not hold any religious post, either.
  • Official. I don't represent any organization. I can't even claim to speak for Christianity as a whole, because it's huge and varied. I speak for the Christianity that I practice, as I understand it.
  • Forum to discuss differences within Christianity. I plan to stick to the more common elements. Deep doctrinal questions should arise naturally when believers ask them; forcing those questions seems to usually be unappreciated.
  • Unbiased. I am biased. You are too. Reader beware.
  • Internationally-minded. Realistically, I'm only qualified to comment on contemporary U.S. culture, and even then, only on the parts I'm exposed to. Still, culture tends to ooze everywhere, mix together, and generally mutate, so anything I say may apply elsewhere if only minimally.
  • Totally inoffensive to anyone who ever reads it. My purpose is not to offend people, but inevitably someone will take offense at something. The price of free expression is people freely disliking whatever is expressed.
  • Infallible. I'm not about to claim that I have all the answers, or that I have all the answers at least half-right. I claim to have some answers that make sense to me.
  • Written for a general audience. Anyone who has Web access may read, of course. Nevertheless, the primary audience is other Christians who, like me, routinely encounter arguments against Christianity. In particular, the primary audience is really not (and probably won't be) the people who advance those arguments.

4 comments:

Jhay Phoenix said...

Greetings Dear Bro.

I have been following your blog for quite a while and I thoroughly enjoy it. I would like to link your site to mine and I am requesting your expressed permission.

Also, I kindly ask: Is there any creed or confessional that you hold fast to?

ChristianityUnbowed said...

@Mr PSb:

Feel free to link as you like. I'm open to all linking. It's a strength of the WWW medium. I'm not comfortable with permitting actual republishing/copying (quoting content in its entirety), but linking is always fine with me.

Due to my personal background in Christianity, I'm not knowledgeable about formalized creeds and confessionals. I also don't have any degrees or status in a church other than common membership. My regular church community is in the Wesleyan tradition, but I'm not necessarily in complete agreement with all of Wesley's theology or practice. In fact, some of what I've written might scandalize some of my church's attendees =) .

Jhay Phoenix said...

Dear Bro.

Thank you again for the allowing me permission to link me to add your site on my blogroll.

Your content is well very logical and well thought out. Sadly the logical dimension to Christianity is often overlooked, leaving the door open for mysticism.

I am the same as you: I hold no formal qualifications in Theology neither do I hold any special position in church apart from common membership.

I attend a Reformed church, however I don't consider myself "Reformed" so to speak. The main thing is that we are united on the basics of the faith; the tenants that give Biblical Christianity its distinction. Semper Reformanda.

Anonymous said...

I always motivated by you, your views and way of thinking, again, thanks for this nice post.

- Norman