Thursday, May 21, 2009

avoiding politics through politics

Don't expect much discussion about politics by me. Not as long as 1) the topic is often focused on the tedious and trivial and temporary, 2) other websites cover it from as many angles as anyone could want, 3) the primary value of arguments about it appears to be recreational "full-contact debate" rather than successful attempts to influence opinions. (The third issue also sometimes applies to arguments about apologetics...)

I'm not even momentarily breaking political silence in order to comment on anything specific. I just wanted to mention that I've noticed that those writers who state that they wish to depoliticize Christianity more often than not are vocal about politics - as if the way to stop linking Christianity to explicit political causes is to link it to different political causes than usual.

Don't misunderstand. I'm definitely not arguing that Christians need to withdraw entirely from the realm of politics (given that we're blessed with the privilege of accomplishing so much good through democracy, it'd border on foolish to not participate). Nor am I arguing that Christians shouldn't civilly discuss how and when to apply their deepest beliefs to politics. Nor (and I want to ensure this is clear above all else) am I expressing a political "side".

I'm simply perplexed by an observed combination of unabashed politicking and complaints about Christianity being too "political". Doesn't the one seriously undercut the other?

No comments: